Wednesday, March 21, 2012

PT: Day 13

Monday's PT Regimine:

6 min Elliptical Warmup - level 3
Prone Press Ups Right Side - 10 reps 2 sets
New Exercise - Laying on my stomach with my left leg hanging off the table, I press up into a cobra pose.  Lower back down and repeats.  This is to get flexibility back in my right hip hopefully alleviating some of the coccyx pain.  My right sacrum is not as flexible as my left (I may have that statement completely confused as I don't really know what it means).
Leg Lifts with Arms Raised - 10 reps
New Exercise #2 - Laying on my back hold my arms up with a bar in my hands.  Left both legs and attempt to get them under the stick without moving my arms/shoulders.  Lower legs and repeat.  Wow.  This was seriously hard and I am seriously not flexible in this way.  I was able to do the lifts, but there was no way I could get my feet any where near the bar in my hands.
Modified Side Planks - 10 reps 2 sets
Swiss ball bridges - 15 reps with 5 sec hold
Kneeling Leg/Arm Extension - 20 reps each side
Modified Planks - 3 reps with 30 sec hold
Side Lunges - 10 reps
Sidesteps
Cage Stretch


I didn't write about Day 12.  It was on March 1st.  It was a very hard, very upsetting, very frustrating day.  I'm letting it go.

Since I was out of PT for 2 weeks, I was re-evaluated upon my return.  The results?  My hips are improving as are my gluts.  Each leg can now resist pressure applied when I perform a Side Lying Hip abduction and some presses down on the lifted leg. I can also resist some pressure when lying on my stomach and lifting my leg up using my gluts.  That is super awesome news!!!!  And I haven't been having a bunch of knee pain so I'm thinking the original problem might be understood.

On the flip side, the coccyx pain grew worse as the two weeks wore one.  For that my physical therapist did and evaluation of sorts on my hip/back alignment.  From what I could tell they were measuring symmetry and watching how I moved each part.  The movements I performed seemed intent on moving every portion of my lower backs and hips separately.  I don't think I could repeat those movements without help.  The result most notably is the two added exercises above.

But there was an even more hopeful conversation.  Based on the progress the therapist is seeing, it may not be necessary for me to continue beyond the next month.  We talked about continuing as we're going now and re-evaluating again in 2 weeks.  I also have to try to stop sitting on my feet when I'm sitting at my desk.  I'm going to try really hard, but sitting with my feet folded up under me is so much more comfortable!  However, if breaking that habit means the pain will cease...  Really?  Is there any more thought needed on that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment