Tuesday, March 6, 2012

New Direction

I joined Weight Watchers.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this yet.  I've gone and signed up for a 3 month membership.  About 7 years ago, I had moderate success with their program.  I lost about 30 pounds before giving up.  I simply couldn't adjust to the reduced daily points when I went reached 220 pounds.  I started an exercise program to attempt to earn more points towards food.  That resulted in the injury I'm in PT to deal with now.  Please don't misunderstand me.  WW is by no means responsible for me getting hurt.  I just found it unmaintainable once I got to a certain point.  I grew frustrated and I quit.

So why have I gone back?

The program worked.  I lost weight reliably every week.  Until I didn't.  The tracking software really is the best out there.  I haven't found a site with a more comprehensive included list of food or better interface.  There's even an app for my phone.  Plus it is a common approach used by thousands of women (and a couple men) to lose and maintain weight.  All those people make up a pretty solid support system.

And how is it going to be different this time?

My plan is to use WW to understand what I'm eating and what I should be eating.  While no diet is perfect for everyone, they offer a good guide for what to eat and how much of it to eat.  I remember learning about portion sizes the first time through the program and how much that changed what I was eating.  Also the low point values of vegetables and fruits made them so much more appealing.

Starting this journey, I didn't want it to be about the food.  But to not deal with the food is disingenuous.  I have a problem with food.  That problem could be rooted in a lot of different places, but you don't get to be 100 pounds over weight with out having a problem with food.  Working out is a great way to burn off extra calories and improve your overall health, but, without monitoring what goes in, I'm not going to achieve my goals.

And I really want to achieve my goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment