Monday, January 23, 2012

PT: Day 2

So I figure I'm counting my PT appointments as workouts so I may as well post about them.  If for no other reason I really don't want to forget all the exercises I'm learning.  The hardest part is that I don't know what to call a lot of the stuff I'm doing.  But I can describe them.

Today's Workout:

Warmup Hip Stretches - Stand facing a chair and put one foot in the chair.  Lunge forward with arms straight over head, twisting upper body towards the bent knee and leaning to the side with the bent knees with arms over head.  Do each modification 10 times.  Switch feet and repeat.

Side Steps - Attach ankle shackles with latex stretchy bands connecting them (different bands offer different levels of resistance - therapist picks out the one she wants me to use).  Side step for about 110 steps (length of the room) taking a big step out with one leg and a small step in with the other.  Repeat going the other way without turning around.

Bosu Squats - Balanced on a Bosu Ball (picture of one to the right) squat and hold for 5 seconds.  Repeat 10 times.  Try not to fall off the Bosu.

Wall Ball Abduction - Stand sideways next to a wall with an exercise ball between you and the wall.  lift the leg facing the wall sideways and hold 5 secs.  Do 15 times.  Repeat on the other side.

Leg Back Extension - This one requires a machine and exercises the gluts (butt muscle) when done right.  I'm still learning to do it right and would need a glut machine (or whatever it is called) to repeat it.

Balance Board - The balance board used in the office has a half cylinder attached to the bottom of it, limiting the directions you need to balance (I couldn't find a good picture).  Stand on the Balance Board for 2 minutes with feet parallel to the cylinder.  Then stand for another 2 minutes with feet perpendicular to the cylinder.

Cage Stretch - Standing in the cage to the left, place one foot in the crook below the directions.  Grab the bars above your head and hold for 30 seconds.  Grab the bars to your right and hold for 30 seconds.  Grab the bars to your left and hold for 30 seconds.  Repeat twice for each leg.

Side Lying Abduction on Ball - Balance on your side on an exercise ball (kind of like a side plank but on a big ball).  Lift the upper leg into the air 10 times.  Don't fall.  Repeat on the other side.

I was able to do all of these exercises to some extent except for the Hip Abduction on Ball.  Maybe I was just tired.  Or maybe I was doing it wrong, but I fell off the ball a bunch of times and definitely didn't get the movement from my hip that I was trying to achieve.  Also the Leg Back Extension is still a strugle for me.  if I don't concentrate I work the Quad instead of the Glut, rendering my leg sore and having to repeat it all again.  However, I'm learning the exercises and I've definitely progressed from the last time I was in PT (2.5 years ago for the same problem).

One additional device of torture is the roller.  A big part of my pain is from an inflamed and very tight IT Band.  The only way to make it better is to massage the very sore side of my legs and strengthen the surrounding muscles.  Can I just say OW.  That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment