Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Anti-climatic Verdict.

On the upside, there is nothing structurally wrong with my knee.  X-Rays show it to be a healthy with good even spacing and no cartilage issues.  All the parts in good shape.  The physical exam uncovered a few sensitive spots around the knee cap.  The bursitis, treated with steroids and physical therapy two years ago, hasn't gone away at all, though I am experiencing significantly less pain than the last time I had my knees checked.  I'll take that as progress.

Now for the downside, nothing is broken, torn or obvious.  Sounds like an upside right?  No surgery.  No braces.  No steroids.  I see this as a VERY GOOD thing, but it means there is nothing to "fix".  I have physical therapy twice a week now to see if I can learn how to improve the functioning of my knee and get rid of the pain after workouts.  I also am to lay off the running for a bit.  I'm still doing my 5K in February (more about that later), but the interval training in prep for it will be completed on the elliptical.

If you've never been to physical therapy, you might not understand my glass is half empty approach to having a structurally sound knee.  PT is HARD.  The last time I was there I spent 3 months challenging myself and learning all the exercises I needed to incorporate into my life to get me better.  They are hard exercises.  There's a lot of them.  They SUCK.  And it hurts.  Whatever problem you go in there with you directly address.   That means a sore knee is going to get more sore.  Gotta get worse before it gets better, right?

I'm being overly negative.  I know it.  I accept it.  I just don't want to do PT.  But I don't want to hurt myself more either.  I started exercising in a vacuum 6 years ago and I hurt myself repetitively.  I pushed until it was just too much and then I gave up.  In pain.  Frustrated.  Depressed.  Now I have to work hard to over come that past.  I will.  Like it or not, I'm going to get better and then it will be worth it.  I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment